Practical information for visitors to Chile
- Chilean peso (CLP)
- Exchange rate: $1 = approximately 500 Chilean pesos (as of November 2011)
- Currency exchange bureaus: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (1800) Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (1400) Saturday
- Foreign currency: Cash or travelers checks may be exchanged at banks, currency exchange bureaus, and most hotels. Most major credit cards are honored throughout Chile and most foreign bank cards can be used for ATM withdrawals.
- Winter: -4 GMT
- Summer: -3 GMT (Daylight Savings Time is from 2nd Saturday in October to 2nd Saturday in March).
- Businesses: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (1800), Monday to Friday
- Banks: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. (1400), Monday to Friday
- Stores: In Santiago most larger stores open daily from 9 a.m.to 9 p.m. (2100), with Sunday shopping the norm. Elsewhere, shops may close from 2 p.m.to 4 p.m. (1600).
Airport to downtown Santiago 20,000 pesos ($40). In Santiago, taxis charge a base price of 250 pesos ($0.50) plus about 100 pesos per 200 meters distance (or per-minute wait). Rates are indicated on the windshield. Negotiate a price with the driver for longer distances or locations outside the city.
Subway and bus:
The Metro de Santiago is part of the Transantiago integrated public transport system that includes bus routes. Transantiago uses an integrated fare system. Passengers can make bus-bus or bus-metro transfers for the price of one ticket. The system uses a contactless Bip! card which can be purchased in all stations for 2,000 pesos ($4). Single-trip tickets are available but don’t allow transfers to buses. Fares depend on the time of day. Peak fares are 620 pesos ($1.25).
A compact car rents for 20,000 to 25,000 pesos ($40 to $50) a day. Rates are lower in Santiago than in the provinces. Smaller companies may negotiate prices.
- Cup of coffee/tea: 500 to 1,000 pesos ($1-2)
- Glass of beer: 1,000 pesos ($2)
- Glass of Chilean wine/pisco: 1,000 pesos ($2)
- General: 3,000 pesos ($6)
- Children/elderly: 2,000/3,000 pesos ($4/$6)
- 3D films: 5,000 pesos ($10)
- General: 3,000 to 4,000 pesos ($6-$8)
- Children, students/elderly: 2000 to 3000 pesos ($4-$6)
- Teachers: 1,000 pesos ($2)